Monday, July 05, 2004

[Ant Attack] New Alpha Download

A bit late in the day but I've got a new version uploaded!

Download here.

If you've been messing around with maps then just extract the ant-attack.exe and the media folder.

What's New?

Well I've worked on the game framework a fair bit. So it's holding together much more like a game. Everything is pretty much a placeholder at the moment but nearly everything that needs to be in is in.

Plus, there's now more of a point to the whole thing. If you're playing the Antescher map then you can attempt to rescue the 10 girls. It's a bit tricky at the moment as you still don't have ammo, even though the gameplay is really pulling together.

There's not really much more game to add, mostly once the ammo is in, it'll be tuning and adding the final graphics and sound. All in all I'm quite pleased with how it's coming along.

3 Comments:

At 6 July 2004 at 10:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi modesty. The screenshots look fabulous and certainly take me back to the first time that I played AA on my Speccy. Happy memories.

I'm busy trying to get my multi-player Lords of Midnight game out at the moment (the screenshots are in issue 5 of RG), so I can appreciate the time that you will have had to put into this. As a dad I fully understand the competing demands of a busy day! ;)

Very much looking forward to playing the final version (I don't actually play that many games, only the ones that are worth it gameplay wise. AA certainly hits the spot).

Jean-Yves

 
At 7 July 2004 at 13:48, Blogger Iain said...

Hi there Modesty - I've been keeping an eye on your progress since someone at State brought this wonderful enterprise to my attention. Ant Attack was one of my favourite games on the Speccy as a kid, and I think it's great that someone's making the effort of updating it.

I'm not sure how much feedback you've had about the performance so far, but with the new Alpha, I've been getting frame rates of 80-100fps on a P4-M 1.8GHz with 512MB of RAM and a 16MB Radeon 7500. It's a little too fast to be playable, really, but otherwise very impressive. If you have the time you might consider putting in a frame rate limiter to tone things down to 30-50fps or so.

I do hope you get to finish it - I know of too many little web projects like this which just tend to peter out, and I really want to be able to play with the grenades! :-)

Keep up the good work!

 
At 9 July 2004 at 18:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
Great work! Takes me back to the days of the rubber keys ... Very nicely done alpha version, works extremely(!) smooth on my PC (2,8 GHz Athlon XP, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro).
I like 1st person view best. I'd never thought I'd see my all-time-favorite in true 3D ... Thanks!
One little request: Could you please not flash the entire screen red when bitten? Makes me kind of dizzy after a while ... Sorry about that ...

Best regards
Jo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home